Friday, November 30, 2007

Attention Rappers: How To Beat Writer's Block

Lately, I've been dealing with the challenge of just finishing ONE song. Yep, you heard it right: One song. I mean this is not just a one day thing or a one week thing. This has been going on for a little while.

A friend of mine asked me to write a song for a group that he's working with because they needed material. I accepted the challenge not having written a whole song for anybody before because I figured it would be a good way to branch out further into songwriting. I mean I've written verses for people to spit but never a whole song and being that its for a younger audience makes it more challenging.

The real challenge that I'm having involves simply staying focused on getting it done. I've come up with several song topics but actually writting about them has been difficult. 2007 has been a very strange year for me. I can't say its a bad one but its definitely not one of my most favorable years.

I not a big fan of excuses but it seems as if I've been cheering them on lately with this latest project.

So here is what I am proposing to do and if you think it will help you then by all means join me.

First, I need to seriously look at my "Why" for doing this project. Why am I doing this? Is it for fame and glory? Is it because I like to write? Or maybe its because I see dollar signs and a pot of gold at the end of the writing rainbow. What ever my "Why" is I need to clearly have that in the forefront of my mind if that is my goal and then the second step is to...


WRITE IT DOWN!!!

I heard some stats a while ago that said that people who have clear, specific goals with a deadline are usually more inclined to achieve them. I believe that figure was about a 97% achievement ratio. What's absolutely krazy is that I ususally write my goals down but with this project, I slipped. I'm only human.

Once I've got my goal for this project written down and my "Why" for doing it firmly etched in my brain. The next step is to break that main goal into smaller goals or milestones. How else do you eat an elephant but one bite at a time?

Okay, so now I got a reason and some written goals and milestones to look forward to. Here is the next and one of the most critical ingredients:

Action!!!

All this planning is cool but nothing happens without action. And while action is great, it helps to have a map of where you're going. That's what all the planning and goal setting was about in the first place. So you begin to take steps toward the first milestone.

For me that involves having at least 2 songs completed before the end of next week that I can submit to the group's manager for review. To do that I must schedule some time out of my busy life to sit with the pen, the pad and some fire beats to write to...let's say about 30 to 45 minutes a day. I can afford to do that even if it means getting up a bit earlier in the morning...without hitting the snooze button.

Today is Friday evening going into Saturday morning so by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, I should be reviewing my progress to see how far I am from completing the 2 songs. This is a good half-way point to access where I am and if something is truely holding me back, what is it?

Okay so here are the steps again:

  1. Figure out your "Why" for writing the song. Why are you writing the song?
  2. Write down realistic goals for completing the song?
  3. Set milestones to help measure your progress
  4. Action, Action, & more Action!!! Nothing beats action.
  5. Track you progress to make sure you're on schedule to complete your song.
  6. Finish the song.

With these 6 simple steps, anyone who chooses to use them should be able to knock out plenty of songs in a short period of time.

I'll let you know how this works out for me and please keep me posted how it works out for you.

Holla...

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist

mello@free-hot-rap.com

Download 7 Free Rap Instrumentals, Hiphop Instrumentals, and R & B Instrumentals Right Now at www.Free-Hot-Rap.com.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I really like your blog. Ive found myself in quite a writing slump lately. I can write put the quality of the material isn't what it used to be
u can check me out at
http://www.myspace.com/eatadic

Unknown said...

Brandon, thanks for your comment. I've had to fight through writer's block alot. I wouldn't worry about having a hit song everytime you write. The key for me is to just keep writing. The lyrics may sound like garbage but at least it keeps my pen moving and I can always comeback and edit it.

Bandit said...

I make hip-hop for a living and I gotta say I hit like a three month block. Of course I could think of rhymes but I started to question what was imporant to me. After a few months the lyrics that I thought were garbage hit the tablet. I even looked on some old lyrics like a filing cabnet full and I'll tell you the best way to cure writer's block. Just write anyways and you will fight your way out of that slump. Even if they aren't rhymes you have to keep in touch with your artistic side. Even though you might feel like your drifting away it's a passion that you can never forget.