Thursday, November 29, 2007

Old Skool Music Versus New Skool Music

I've been listening to The Steve Harvey Morning Show (http://www.steveharvey.com/) for the past few days and one of his listeners wrote in that Steve and his crew should play more current music on his show. Well this listener was 20-years old so the crew just tore her down debating the value of the current music.

Before you get upset, it was all in fun and the first thing Steve did was play "In Da Club" by 50-Cent. That joint still rocks parties. Dr. Dre still gets props on that one fa sho! Steve came back later and played "Flashlight" by Parliment. I keep that 'Tear The Roof Off' CD close by because we all know how George Clinton gets down.

I didn't get to hear too much more yesterday but this morning they continued the debate. They threw on "Rock, Skate, Roll, Bounce" and I'm sure people were in their cars on the way to work going nuts. I know I was AMPED!!!

One of the points that Steve brought up was the long standing debate of live instruments versus digital instrumentals. I agree with him about the feeling that live music gives the listener. I was in the band growing up so I know what it does and I love to hear live music played in most venues.

In the letter, Steve's listener stated that he should play songs like Soulja Boy. He indicated that he heard Soulja Boy's song but could not get into it. Maybe the age difference is a problem as well. Also, most of the new music is not created by live bands and the tracks are very repetitive with very little change-ups.

For me, I like both skools of music: old and new. Although, I absolutely dig live music, I've worked with live musicians before and it can be a headache trying to get everybody together just to do one thing. BUT, I've had the same problem with Hiphop groups as well. Outside of that, either music will do me fine.

On the new skool tip, take an artist like Kanye West. His music is nuts and many old skool types dig his music as well. He blends instruments with digital tracks and so does Alicia Keys (who has worked with Kanye). Not only can she sing, but she plays the piano and well as produces. I think some artists just have an old soul and they just know what makes music good because all music ain't all good.

Let me know what you think about this debate.

Holla...

Let's Make It Happen!!!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
mello@free-hot-rap.com

P.S. Download 7 FREE Rap Instrumentals, Free Hiphop Instrumentals, and Free R & B Instrumentals Right Now at www.Free-Hot-Rap.com!

P.S.S Rest in peace to my uncle, Willie James Towns and Kanye's mom, Donda West

No comments: