Thursday, August 16, 2007

Multiple Streams of Hiphop Income

Hey, I was just reading where Forbes listed the Hiphop Kings for 2006. Of course the names haven't changed much from 2005: Jay-Z, 50-cent, P. Diddy, etc.

What I did notice was that what most of the people on the list had in common was that they generated money from something other than rappin'. My man Timbaland, who is one of my favorite producers pulled in $21 million dollars making instrumentals and beats for Rap, Hiphop, R&B and Pop acts. Scott Storch and Pharell hit the bank for $17 million apiece.

There is money to be made. Snoop of course makes a killin' off cameo and movies and Dr. Dre and Eminem were both mention as top billers. They basically put 50 on the fast track.

The point I'm trying to make is if you are an artist, don't just stop at writing rhymes because if and when you make it and blow up, there's no guarantee that you will be at the top for long. Have some other source of income. I remember KRS-ONE wrote in his last book that in addition to being an emcee, he produced instrumentals for other artists, gave lectures, and wrote books.

Yes, I am an emcee as well but I learned long time ago that fame is not promised and if can come and go overnight. In addition to emceeing, I produce instrumentals, write books, buy and sell real estate, etc. just to keep my hustle going. And as much I don't like working a day job (I have quit many!), my child has to eat so I must keep a steady cash flow going.

Think about all of this. Yes you might have a dream and you must have one to have a dream come true but being an artist cost time and time is money! With that being said I'm out.

If you haven't already, make sure you stop by www.Free-Hot-Rap.com for some heat!

Let's Make It Happen...

No comments: