Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"Plan A" for Hiphop Artists

I'm getting pretty good at daily blogging. Believe me its a challenge just to find the time. Today I was thinking about what I was going to blog about and came up with some philosophy that I heard from comedian/entrepreneur Steve Harvey.

He stated several times about not having a "Plan B" for your life and being totally committed to your "Plan A". He says if you have a "Plan B" then you are not totally committed to fulfilling your "Plan A". He says you should put all of your energy in to making your "Plan A" a reality.

As his words sank into my mind, I began to think about how I could and could've applied this train of thought to my life. I used to be the type of person who tried to do too many things and got hardly NOTHING accomplished. For example, I have been a Hiphoppa since I was 8 years old. Sometimes its hard to believe that but its true.

In my Senior year of high school, I started getting serious and started making demos. I kept on pluggin' away at the music business and eventually some people thought me and my group were good enough to go perform at the Apollo. That's when I figured I could make a career out of music. I started researching this business and trying to learn all I could and I still do today.

Unfortunately, things weren't moving fast enough for me when I was younger. I went from job to job and I even got a real estate license because I wanted a better life. While I was doing these things, I never stopped loving Hiphop. I learned how to make beats and instrumentals along the way but I just had too many other distractions. Hell, I even bought and sold a few houses but the lack of focus was just killing my enthusiasm to do what I really loved.

Well, earlier this year, I had a life changing experience and I decided to get really focused on one thing and that was making beats. There are more people who are in need of production than need rappers. The rappers even need producers and I'm sure the rapper/producer ratio is more skewed toward the rappers!

For me this meant letting a lot of other things go UNTIL I get my "Plan A" right. Once that happens, yes I will pursue other interests but not until then. I can site numerous examples in Hiphop alone of people who started off doing one thing, became successful, then branched out to do other things.

So I hope this makes you think a little and helps you get focused on what you really wanna do. We can be good at many things but unless we have a 'laser-beam' focus, we will only produce mediocre results at best.

As always I encourage feedback. You can post your reply here or send me an email at mello@free-hot-rap.com.

Oh yeah, I'm doing some site redesigns. Be sure to add www.Free-Hot-Rap.com to the Favorites tab in your browser.

Let's Make It Happen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i fill were you coming from completely my senior year in high school real was about the same time i really just start focusing on doing somethin with rap...right now im just working a shitty job and goin to a shitty tech school but im writing battling and freestyling like everyday just to see if im even gonna have a chance all i can say is much respect on pursuing your dream im gonna keep doin mine.

dejay B aka 9 mill

dejaybrand@yahoo.com get at me