Saturday, September 22, 2007

Should Hiphop & R&B Music Be Classified in the Same Billboard Category

Today I found out that my main website, http://www.free-hot-rap.com/, ranks #7 and #8 for my search term (aka keywords), "free R&B instrumentals" in the Google search engine. This is dope as I told you all that I'm striving for #1. Okay on to today's topic...

There has been a long standing debate as to whether R&B and Rap/Hiphop should be on the same chart in Billboard Magazine. The theory is both genres are lumped together as "urban" music so that's what makes them fit on the same chart.

I am one of the voices that begs to differ. Although some the actual instrumental music parts of the genres may be the same due to popularity of Hiphop and the ease of making rap beats, they are hugely different.

Rap music involves rapping. R&B involves singing and a totally different song structure. Both genres may appeal to the same market but they are different types of music. I heard a R&B artist being interviewed on the radio recently and he mentioned his disdain for the combination of both genres on the same chart. He said realistically, how could he compete with artists like Jay-Z in the charts when they do 2 totally different styles of music.

How real is that?

I am a Hiphop emcee. I don't make the same type of music a Jagged Edge and Beyonce so why put me in a catagory with them because the same people that like my music also like their music? I like Justin Timberlake's music but just because Timbaland made some hot beats for him should I look to find his album in the Rap section of the music store. NO!!!

So as I always do, I ask you what do you think. Should Hiphop & R&B music be classified in the same Billboard category? Hit me at mello@free-hot-rap.com or post your comment here on The Hot Instrumentalist blog. I don't think they should but I'm just one voice.

Let's Make It Happen!

Mello Melanin, The Hot Instrumentalist
Download 7 Free Hot Rap, Hiphop, & R&B Instrumentals Right Now at www.Free-Hot-Rap.com.

P.S. Check out my main man, legendary Hiphop artist, Jax and his Hot new album "Sharper Images" at http://www.seriousknockent.com/.

"Sharper Images" by Jax

Free The Jena 6!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I definitely don't think they should be in the same category. While I both (Rap and Sing) and produce both types of music, I'm in a totally different mode when I do either. Having them in seperate categories would benefit versatile artists by allowing them to be noted in multiple categories, but funneling it into one category is not a good idea in my opinion (urban or not) This is just my 2 cents.